Director General of Health Services Specialist Dr. Anil Jasinghe issuing a report said the number of persons who had lost their lives in the Easter Sunday bomb blasts is 253 and not 359 as stated by several sources.
Primarily, the death toll was estimated at 290 by the health sector but it has now been confirmed that roughly 253 persons had died.
The report states further that there were more than 485 injured in the Easter Sunday bomb blasts who had been admitted to the National Hospital, Colombo South Teaching Hospital, Colombo North Teaching Hospital, Lady Ridgeway Hospital, Batticaloa Teaching Hospital and the Negombo Base Hospital, these numbers had decreased to 149 by 10.00 AM yesterday (25).
Of the 485 injured persons admitted to these hospitals, only 6 have died. This is something for the Sri Lankan health services to pretention about. This feat even been admired by foreign media.
In similar situations of persons being killed as a result of bomb blasts, the victims suffer disfigurement and body-parts are scattered all over the place where the incident took place, thereby making it difficult to identify the bodies as complete bodies.
Accordingly, it is very difficult to state precisely the number of deaths. Therefore, the death toll was declared every day to the near digit, Dr. Jasinghe said.